4th Regiment, Virginia Defense Force

Virginians serving Virginians!

Mission
Our mission is to support the Commonwealth of Virginia and the Virginia National Guard with various tasks including, but not limited to:
  • Communications Management (Mobile Communications Platforms, Tactical Communcations Packages, High Frequency Radio Systems, State Agency Radio System)
  • Shelter Management and Support
  • Command and Control Liason and Support
  • Traffic Control/Management
  • General Aviation Support (transport, photography, aerial search, etc.)
The 4th Regiment is headquartered at the National Guard Armory in Lynchburg, Virginia.  We are comprised of a headquarters staff and five mission response groups.
168 Constitution Ln, Lynchburg, VA

This website serves as an information platform for the general public, an internal communications platform, and a place for unit members to share stories, photos, and build cohesion.  Please visit the various pages by clicking on the links above.

History of the Virginia Defense Force

A Proud Heritage

Virginia State Volunteers / Virginia Volunteers:  1917-1921

In response to the 1917 federalization of the Virginia National Guard, the Commonwealth of Virginia created the Virginia State Volunteers to support civil authorities.  Soon renamed the Virginia Volunteers, the group guarded bridges, waterways, fuel storage areas, and public buildings and facilities during the war years, armed with surplus weapons dating back to 1876.  With the return of the National Guard units after World War I, the last company of the Virginia Volunteers was deactivated in 1921.  A total of 1,300 Virginians served in the Virginia Volunteers from 1917 to 1921.

Virginia Protective Force / Virginia State Guard:  1941-1947

Following the 1940 Nazi defeat of the French army, Virginia Governor Price created the Virginia Defense Council to plan for the possibility that the Virginia National Guard could be federalized once again.  Based on the recommendation of the council, Governor Price ordered the establishment of the Virginia Protective Force on January 2, 1941.  Provided surplus M-1917 Enfield rifles and blue-grey wool uniforms made in the state's penitentiaries, the Virginia Protective Force assumed the in-state missions of the Virginia National Guard when it was called to federal service.  In 1944 the General Assembly changed the name of the Virginia Protective Force to the Virginia State Guard.  With the return of the Virginia National Guard from overseas service, the Commonwealth deactivated the Virginia State Guard in June 1947.  A total of 16,885 Virginians served in the Virginia Protective Force and Virginia State Guard from 1941 to 1947.

Virginia State Guard / Virginia Defense Force:  1985-Present

The Total Force policies of the Department of Defense prompted changes to federal law in the mid-1980s, allowing states to establish military forces designated to assume the missions of their state National Guards in the event they were called to federal service.  With planning dating back to 1981, the Commonwealth created the first units of the new Virginia State Guard in 1985 with same mission as its predecessors: support of civil authority.  In 1989 the General Assembly renamed the Virginia State Guard the Virginia Defense Force.

DISCLAIMER:  The files, images, and other information contained on this website, including all all pages and links, is for the sole use of the 4th Regiment, Virginia Defense Force.  It in no way reflects policies, procedures, official information of any form, etc. of the Commonwealth of Virginia, the broader Virginia Defense Force, the Virginia National Guard, nor any other organization or entity.